To have a healthy diet the main things to consider are:
- Eat the right amount to maintain a healthy weight
- Eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables
- Eat plenty of foods rich in fibre and starch
- Avoid eating too much fatty food
- Avoid sugary food and drinks
These guidelines can be followed by everyone and may reduce the chances of getting heart disease and diabetes as well as certain types of cancer, including breast cancer. There is lots of information available on healthy eating from organisations such as NHS Direct and the Food Standards Agency.